Thursday, December 15, 2011

Christmas Pillow Covers


To add to our Christmas decor, I wanted to make some pillow covers for the living room. I had brown homespun covers on for fall but they just didn't quite work with the Christmas decorations. I made 2 'five-minute pillow covers' out of Osnaburg fabric that I had in my stash. After deciding what I wanted to say, I played around with different fonts and sizes on my Cricut.
I decided on the first line from "Hark the Herald Angels Sing", which is one of my favorite Christmas hymns.
I used Quarter Note for 'Glory' and 'Sing' and welded the letters together on my Gypsy before I cut them out. Then I used Doodletype for the rest of the words.
Using the same process as my Thanksgiving banner, I mixed up 2 shades of brown paint and pounced it on to the pillow cover with a foam brush. (This time I made sure to put some thick cardboard on the inside so the paint wouldn't bleed through to the back.)

I wanted to make 'Glory' and 'Sing' stand out so I used the Quarter Note cartridge to cut them out and then stenciled them with a Robin's Egg blue color. They still needed a little something when they were done so I outlined them with the brown paint and a very, very fine paintbrush.



And here they are all done and dressing up the living room loveseat. I have to say that in the end they look a little more 'Mommy-I-made-a-craft' than Pottery Barn but I'm okay with it. I'm not going to redo them at this point, and they match my winter pillow covers pretty well.
 
My oh-so-helpful 9 year old pointed out that I had them in the wrong order so here they are placed correctly. :)
That same 9 year old also took the pictures of me working (above). He did a good job, I think.

Sharing the Christmas ideas at these parties

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your kind comments make me smile!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...