Monday, December 10, 2012

Sheet Music Christmas Trees

As a musician, I've been drawn to the different versions of sheet music Christmas trees floating around the web. I actually bought a styrofoam cone last December so I could make my own but never got around to it. Well, after decorating for Christmas this year, I was so not loving my dining room window vignette so out came the glue gun. Here's how I made mine.
Supplies needed:
Styrofoam cones of various heights
Sheet music
Glue gun
Scissors
Something round to roll paper around (like a marker or large wooden spoon handle)

First I pulled sheet music out of some books I found at Goodwill. I cut the music into 2" strips and then rolled them around a marker to curl them a bit.
 

After curling the strips, I fringed them by cutting along the bottom edge every 1/4 to 1/2", only cutting halfway up.

To attach the strip to the cone, I ran a thin bead of hot glue along the top edge of the music and then stuck it on. I overlapped strips going around and then continued working up the cone, layering the strips about halfway over the previous row.

To finish them off, I cut a small circle of sheet music to cover the very top.
The final product is so much better than my previous attempt (which ended up in the garage sale pile.)
 
Linking up to these great blog parties:
Sunday: Sunday Showcase at Under the Table and Dreaming; 
Tuesday: One Project at a Time at A Bowl Full of Lemons; Tutes and Tips at Home Stories A to Z; Show Me What Ya Got at Not Just a Housewife;
Wednesday: Wicked Awesome Wednesday at Handy Man, Crafty Woman; It's Overflowing at Overflowing with Creativity; Whatever Goes Wednesday at Someday Crafts;
Home Decor and Organizing at Organize and Decorate Everything;
Thursday: Delightfully Inspiring Thursday at Delightful Order; Transformation Thursday at The Shabby Creek Cottage;
Friday: Frugal Friday at The Shabby Nest; Flaunt it Friday at Chic on a Shoestring;

4 comments:

  1. Love them!! I am making a Christmas tree collection. Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for stopping by. I hope your trees turn out well for you!

      Delete
  2. Thanks so much for the tutorial. I will try it next year, if I remember to buy some styrofoam Christmas tree forms. I'm not real good at that, not being a typically crafty person. I do love how your trees look, though, and it seems easy enough to put the look together that even I ( a total nincompoop when it comes to craft-y things) can do it. Do you think an empty toilet paper roll would work? Or an empty paper towel roll? Yeah, too cheap/too lazy to go buy a styrofoam Christmas tree form!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you could probably make them using an empty paper towel roll but you'd need to either pinch the top so that you get the cone shape or add padding to the bottom. It might be easier to start with a cone. And yes, they are super easy! Give it a try! :)

      Delete

Your kind comments make me smile!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...