Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Summer Science - AIG Properties of Atoms and Molecules Units 2 and 3


I respectfully ask that you not pin pictures of my children to Pinterest. Thank you!

Nothing can quite compete with that super fun Diet Coke/Mentos experiment but we kept moving on anyway. For unit 2, we showed how copper conducts electricity, showed how flouride reacts with calcium carbonate.

We skipped the hydrogenation experiment. We examined carbon, but skipped the oxygen in combustion experiment. I didn't want to have to track down dry ice. Our last experiment of unit 2 was observing oxygen in the rusting process. (The demonstration worked fine but the test tubes were not salvageable afterwards.)
For unit 3, we had a few lessons of atomic models. I have seen where you can do it with Legos, but I figured the youngling and padawan would enjoy a marshmallow snack.
Ionic Bonding (lithium and flourine atoms):
Covalent bonding (oxygen and hydrogen atoms):
Metallic Bonding (beryllium atoms):
We did the bonding experiment (no pics) and also grew crystals.
I messed this one up. We were supposed to have two plates, one with table salt crystals and one with Epsom salt crystals. I put both on the same plate. I made up for it with the geode kit I got at Michael's with a 50% coupon. They each opened up one geode.
At the end of unit 3, we skipped the hydrate experiment and skipped lesson 16.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your kind comments make me smile!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...