Monday, September 26, 2016

School Summary - 7th and 9th grades weeks 3-6

 
I respectfully ask that you not pin pictures of my children to Pinterest. Thank you!

You can see what we're using here: 9th-grade curricula and here: 7th-grade curricula.
I was getting ready to blog weeks 3 and 4 of our school year and realized that it's kind of boring. They are doing all of their work independently. I only correct finished work, assist with finding supplies for art or resources for research (if they can't find what they need), and help with difficult concepts or questions. This year is much more text-based than hands-on, so I don't have many pictures to take and much less to blog about. My new plan is to continue blogging the highlights, tips and hints, and any projects they do complete. Y'all can just assume that they're doing math every day. :)

Weeks 3-6
In Tenor's homeschool this month…
AHL, week 3 map work
As I was writing this, we discovered he never did the assigned paper from week 5. :( And he's still working on his board game project from week 6.  Tenor's got a bit of catching up to do.
His other subjects are going pretty well. Math doesn't take him 4-5 hours a day the way it did last year. He's been diligent with Greek and Bible Road Trip.

My favorite thing this month
He chose to write a poem for his week 3, Exploring World History project. I know he picked it because he dislikes writing papers and wanted an easier project, but he did a great job with this anyway and put a lot of effort into it.
Helpful homeschooling tips or advice to share…
Continue to check your student's log each day to make sure they aren't missing anything. I've not been consistent with this, and obviously it was a mistake.

What’s working/not working for us…
Logic has been a little difficult. I think he just reads the lesson too fast. He's also having some trouble with information recall in history. I'm enforcing some note-taking rules for most of his subjects which I think will help with absorbing more.
In Soprano's homeschool this month...
We added a fun horse poster to her area. It's sort of jimmy-rigged onto the curtain because we don't have wall space but it's okay for now.
 She is still enjoying her 'year of the horse'.
My favorite thing this month
Soprano has had a good attitude (for the most part) about doing schoolwork. She has a slightly heavier load this year, gearing up for high school, and it's mostly on her own. She has to be motivated to do it, and she has been.
Helpful homeschooling tips or advice to share…
We've adjusted her English work to help her get through everything. Instead of reading the lesson, doing the class practice, written practice, and review, I've eliminated the written practice section. If she were to struggle with a concept, I'd add it back in for practice. So far it's been a helpful change.

What’s working/not working for us…
I love how Harmony Fine Arts is put together...the coloring pages take some time though. Here's her latest:

Places we’re going and people we’re seeing...
Youth group kick-offs with color powder (or whatever it is) :)

A trip to the symphony's open rehearsal to hear Tchaikovsky and Beethoven.
 And a Star Wars-themed minor league baseball game (counts as theatre, right?)
Six weeks in the books and a break week ahead!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your kind comments make me smile!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...