Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Music Wreath Project--Fail?

My next project is done! Being a musician, making a wreath of sheet music looked pretty cool to me. Ripping pages out of a music book was really hard though! I found 2 books of random opera arias at Goodwill for $0.50 each. (After playing through them to make sure I could part with them, I tore 'em apart.) I tea-stained the pages in a cookie sheet using a couple of tea bags.
Then they had to dry.... all over my basement floor and everywhere else I could find space.

Using the great tutorial here, I cut a circle out of a piece of cardboard and then rolled and hot glued each sheet of music into a cone shape. After I glued what seemed like a million cones, I started gluing the bottom layer onto the cardboard backer.

Once I squished in as many as I could for the bottom layer, I glued cones on top to make the next layer. Then I finished off the center with a fabric rosette using this great tutorial. I think next time I make a rosette, I'll glue it onto a backer fabric as I twist it around. The method I used got very sticky.

Now for my little tip if you want to make your own (aka why this is sort of a 'fail')... measure your music paper first. Then multiply the length by 2 and add a few inches (to account for the space in the center). This figure will be your total diameter. I didn't measure and had a large book so the wreath when it was first made was 3 1/2 feet around. It was HUGE and didn't fit on my mirror at all! I had to cut down the first layer, cone by cone, and then the second to shrink the size. It took me 3 passes of trimming to get the wreath to be the right size for me. It also made the edges a little raggy looking. So figure out how big you want your wreath to be first. Then trim your paper before gluing it into cones.

I added a little burlap fabric for a hanger on the back but you can't see it because the wreath is still rather large. A potential 'fail' but if you don't get too close, it works great in my living room/music room, and it's another item to cross off the to-do list.

Linkin' to these parties.


  1. I don't know that I would say fail, just learning experience! I like the finished product! That idea would look cute in our music room! :)

  2. I've made a couple of these now. I think the key is getting the cone shape just right. Otherwise your just making rolls. Also, getting them equal in size, you can disguise this a little with adding an additional cone to lengthen( I've had to do several times) but no one will be able to see because you will be glueing the top layer and eventually the center embellishment. :)

  3. I think it looks really good! I like the rosette in the middle!

    Thanks so much for linking to "20 Below Thursday"! :)

  4. Lookin' good to me!!
    Not a fail ♥

  5. fail is an understatement:) it's a great idea for creating art out of music paper.

  6. I don't think I would call it a fail. Who says it has to look exactly like the ones other people have made.

  7. Looks good to me! how creative! Thanks so much for linking this up to our Wicked Awesome Wednesday link party!

  8. I think these things are harder to make than they look! Thanks so much for linking this up to our Wicked Awesome Wednesday party. I hope you’ll come back again this week!


Your kind comments make me smile!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...