Wednesday, May 18, 2011
Fabric Picture Mats
So after a brief hiatus to prepare for summer, I'm back to working on living room decor projects.
On the to-do list are:
* A rag garland for my everyday/spring mantel in the living room (DONE)
* Mat the Williamsburg pictures in the living room with fabric so they match better like this
* Sew fabric runners for the piano and the entry cupboard
* Paint magazine holders for the living room to coordinate with our color scheme (DONE)* Dress up the bay window sill (no ideas for this yet, I'm still looking)
* Make pillow covers for the living room pillows (DONE)* Make a sheet music wreath to hang above the fireplace in the living room (DONE)
* Make a seashell garland for my summer mantel
This week I tackled matting prints that we had already framed. The pics have a slightly off-white background and the plain white mats that came with the frames didn't fit quite right and looked terrible, color-wise. I found a great tutorial online from Martha Stewart that shows how to cover matboard with fabric. Check it out here: http://www.marthastewart.com/272389/fabric-mats
I got a yard of Osnaburg fabric at JoAnn's (with a 40% off coupon, of course) and cut it to fit each of the existing mats. Then using some spray adhesive, I adhered the fabric to the mats. (Caution: I don't know if it's the brand of spray I used but it was quite sticky and had a lot of overspray. It's not really an indoor project. Plus it smells! And it sticks your nose hairs together if you breathe while spraying. Just keeping it real folks! For your health and safety, of course! LOL)
After the mats dried sufficiently, I reassembled the frames with the new matching mats and prints. They now hang above our sofa in the living room as a gallery. I love the calm colors in these pictures. We got the large chapel picture on our honeymoon in Williamsburg, and the other 2 large pics at a yard sale. The smaller ones are actually greeting cards we purchased as a set on our 5th anniversary trip to Williamsburg.
Linking to these parties.