Thursday, July 14, 2011

Birds + Music = DIY Art



I saw these great graphics that used a text background with black and white images on another blog. I was totally inspired to create my own and knew just the spot that needed a little something. We added these cabinets in our kitchen to create a pantry of sorts. We have a 'breakfast' cabinet, a snack/baking/dinner items cabinet, and a canned goods/cookbook cabinet. For the time being, we're keeping the paneling and in the hopefully not too distant future, we'll add a countertop on this wall. So the little space below the cabinets just cried out for some attention and dressing up.

Using the Serenade Cartridge, I cut a bird cage, bird nest, and 2 different bird shapes out of black cardstock. I cut 2 little eggs out of a scrap of some Basic Gray scrapbook paper. Then using the Stamped font cartridge, I cut the letters for 'Rest', 'Sing', 'Soar', and 'Fly.'
I really liked the text backgrounds in the Winterberry Cottage graphics but being a musician (and having a damaged hymnal in my craft stash that I felt okay with dismantling) I decided to use some favorite hymns instead.
I tried to match the hymn with the word and came up with "I Am Thine, O Lord" for 'Fly,' "What If It Were Today?" for 'Soar,' "Under His Wings" for 'Rest,' and "I'll Sing the Wondrous Story" for 'Sing.'

The last step was to glue it all together and pop them into these little frames we used in our family room in the last house but were in my stash to be repurposed since we moved.
Well, the last 'last' step was to get the hubs to fix the phone cord that hung down like this for the first 5 months we've been in this house. Down the road we might add an outlet for the phone in another location so the cord won't have to run down the wall but for now we went from this....


...to this. Definitely less obnoxious!


And now I can cross one more project off the 'to-do list'!

Linking up to these fun parties! Come check 'em out!!

8 comments:

  1. Very sweet...I love bird design! :)

    Thanks so much for linking to "20 Below Thursday"! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool! I like the "Sing" one best!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are really nice. I made something similar, feel free to check it out:
    http://simplychictreasures.blogspot.com/2011/05/i-love-going-to-auctions.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really lovely idea! I think they are so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those are really cute! What a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These just make me happy! Thank you for linking to Wicked Awesome Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are lovely! i like to use text too, and atlas maps but haven't tried the music sheets. Hope you can pop over to Uver Savvy Buzzword and check out some of my ideas.

    ReplyDelete

Your kind comments make me smile!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...