Thursday, January 19, 2012

Button Heart Art

 
We draw names with my parents and siblings for Christmas gift exchanging. This year, we drew my sister-in-law's name. We keep to a set dollar limit on gifts and I knew the "big" gift we wanted to get her would use up most of that limit. So I had to get creative to add to her gifts. I decided that I'd make some cute button art like I've seen all over Pinterest and blogland. Like these: 
button snowflake  and button pumpkin
I toyed with doing a monogram initial but thought that a heart in neutral colors could be the most versatile.
I started with a scrap of Osnaburg fabric from my sewing stash and cut it to fit the shadowbox frame I picked up at Michaels (on sale plus an extra 25% off with a coupon). In MS Word, I used the auto shape feature to grab a heart and stretch it be a size that fit well in my frame. Next step, print out the Word doc and then trace (using carbon paper) the heart outline onto the fabric. Hint: make sure the heart is centered properly on the fabric so that when you pop it in the frame it looks okay.

After I traced the heart on, I started by placing a piece of twine down towards the bottom of the heart and then gluing buttons right over it. I added buttons using hot glue trying to space out the larger sized ones and ones that were the same style or color. Then I kept layering them on, using the smallest ones around the outer edge and on top to fill in any gaps. The very last step was to cut a little tag with my Cricut and then stamp the word 'amour' on it with my Making Memories mini stamp set. Once it was completely cooled, I put the whole thing together. Easy peasy, lemon squeezy for a sweet gift.


Linking up to some or all of these great blog parties:
Sunday: Sunday Showcase at Under the Table and Dreaming;
Monday: Amaze Me Monday at Dittle Dattle;
Tuesday: One Project at a Time at A Bowl Full of Lemons; Tuesday's Treasures at My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia; Show Me What Ya Got at Not Just a Housewife;
Wednesday: Wicked Awesome Wednesday at Handy Man, Crafty Woman; It's Overflowing at Overflowing with Creativity; Whatever Goes Wednesday at Someday Crafts;
Home Decor & Organizing at Organize and Decorate Everything;

Thursday: Delightfully Inspiring Thursday at Delightful Order; Thrifty Thursday at Thrifty and Fabuless;  Transformation Thursday at The Shabby Creek Cottage;
Friday: Frugal Friday at The Shabby Nest; Flaunt it Friday at Chic on a Shoestring;

5 comments:

  1. Gorgeous! I inherited THOUSANDS of buttons from my Grandma when she died last year... now I have some idea of what I can do with them! Nice job! I just koined pointerest yesterday (danger:addictive)... If I can figure it out, I may pin you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Luv me some pinterest! Like I didn't have enough undone ideas floating around in my head and bookmarked on my computer and clipped out of magazines. :) I've seen several button craft ideas on there that I might try.... someday. :)

      Delete
  2. That turned out so cute! I love the little amour tag addition too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute project! Love the neutrals-- great choice. Visiting from It's Overflowing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So adorable!! Thanks for linking up! Have you registered for my giveaway?

    Ramsign Giveaway: Porcelain Enamel Sign {up to $99 value}

    XO, Aimee

    ReplyDelete

Your kind comments make me smile!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...